Broadcom to appeal S. Korean regulator's fine over unfair Samsung Electronics deal
时间:2023-12-04 14:04:05 出处:패션阅读（143）
US wireless chipmaker Broadcom Inc. said Monday it plans to seek an appeal against the South Korean regulator's decision to slap a 19.1 billion-won ($14.3 million) fine for its unfair business practices against Samsung Electronics Co.
In a statement, Broadcom said it was "disappointed" over the Fair Trade Commission's decision, noting it plans to appeal the case to the Seoul High Court.
The punishment of Broadcom came after the US firm forced Samsung to sign a long-term agreement in 2020 by taking advantage of its market dominance and using unlawful tactics, including cutting off its supply and technical support, according to the FTC.
Under the deal, Broadcom compelled Samsung Electronics to procure its smartphone parts worth $760 million annually from 2021 to 2023 and required the South Korean tech giant to compensate for any shortfall if the purchasing amount falls below that amount.
"Broadcom has been working closely with Korean customers in a fair and lawful manner and has made significant contributions to the innovation and success of the Korean economy and some of its largest technology organizations," the company said in the statement.
"Broadcom worked very closely with the staff of the KFTC to reach a mutually beneficial outcome that is fair and reasonable for all parties involved," it added.
In June, the FTC rejected Broadcom's proposal to voluntarily correct its unfair business practices with 20 billion won, ruling in favor of Samsung.
The regulator earlier said the proposal "fell short as a suitable measure to restore the fair trade order and safeguard the interests of other industry players." (Yonhap)
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- 김성원 여의도연구원장 "공천장사 지라시, 허위사실 유포로 고소"
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
- S. Korean women dominate recurve archery at Asian Games
- Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry